Wood Street Church of England School was opened in 1874 as a response to the 1870
Education Act. This was a poor area and health affected school attendance. In 1910, 46 children (over a third) received free school dinners and clogs were given to poorer children. The school closed around 1911 but the original building is still standing as a repair garage.