Nantwich & Acton Grammar School (NAGS), was formed when the Nantwich Grammar School on Welsh Row was amalgamated with the better endowed school at Acton in 1886.
Some preparatory classes were held at the Primitive Methodist Church on the opposite side of the Row. Girls were first admitted in 1905. The Headmaster from 1902-1932 (A. T. Purcell) aimed to give a rural tone’ to the curriculum and to encourage pupils to find out things for themselves.
The picture below was kindly given to us by John Hickson.
NAGS moved to its new building in 1921 and became a comprehensive in 1977.