The Barony Hospital
The first hospital in Nantwich was part of Nantwich Workhouse. In 1890-91, the Nantwich Board of Guardians arranged for an infirmary to be built. The building still stands today, and is now called Frederick House. The hospital cost £4,500 and had 70 beds plus day rooms for convalescents and separate wards for special cases.
In 1905 a Woman’s Hospital was added:
This cost of £7,000, and provided a further 70 beds.
An adjacent nurses’ home, built at the same time, housed 15 nurses.
Under the Local Government Act, 1929. Boards of Guardians were dissolved, and their buildings and functions transferred to the Local Authority in 1930. Since the Workhouse and Infirmary occupied the same site, County Council decided that the Infirmary not be usefully appropriated for hospital purposes; so the whole was designated a Public Assistance Institution for treating the (chronic) sick poor, under the management of the Public Assistance Committee.
In 1930, it had 124 beds. In 1935, the council introduced a new scheme to allot particular types of cases to particular Public Assistance Institutions; the Barony was appropriated for acute medical, maternity and a proportion of chronic cases.
On the outbreak of war in 1939, part of the site was appropriated for under the Emergency Medical Service and a hutted hospital of 240 was erected.
With the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital was transferred to the management of the South Cheshire (Group 20) Hospital Management Committee, part of the Regional Hospital Board. The Committee established its administrative offices in the Hospital. This hospital was general practitioner staffed by members of the Munro practice at Kiltearn House in Hospital Street.
Ravensmoor Smallpox Hospital
The Ravensmoor Smallpox Hospital opened in 1901, following an outbreak of Smallpox. had four beds. There is no record of any smallpox cases being admitted after 1904, doubtless due to the success of the compulsory smallpox vaccination programme. It later became known as Ravensmoor Isolation Hospital. Along with Alvaston Isolation Hospital, it was run by Nantwich Joint Hospital Board. It was taken down circa 1959.
Alvaston Isolation Hospital
The Alvaston Hospital, known locally as ‘Isolation’ was built on land bought by the Nantwich Joint Board from the Trustees of the Beam Heath Estate. It was for a time an adjunct to Crewe Memorial Hospital until 1972.
To learn more, click here.
Nantwich Cottage Hospital
The Nantwich Cottage Hospital came into being and was subsequently maintained by local voluntary effort. The hospital opened in April 1911, and closed in 1972.
To learn more, click here.
The Cliffe, Wybunbury
Many local people were born at the Cliffe Maternity Unit at Wybunbury.
Wrenbury Hostel was based at Wrenbury Hall and a hospital was opened here in 1921, for patients with tuberculosis. In later years it became a hospital for the mentally ill.
To learn more click here.