Arclid Hospital was originally a workhouse, built in 1844-5 for the Congleton Poor Law Union (see here for more information). A two storey infirmary was part of a much larger complex, that was built to accommodate 370 inmates.
In 1845 a separate fever ward was built, with 26 beds. It was expanded twice and then in 1899-1900 a new infirmary was built. During the First World War 40 beds were used for military casualties.
After the 1929 Local Government Act, it was transferred to the County Council’s Public Assistance Committee and renamed Arclid Public Assistance Institution. It was also certified for receipt of patients under the Mental Deficiency Acts.
In 1945 it had 291 beds. In 1948 it was taken over by the newly formed NHS.
In 1992 the hospital had 130 beds for long-stay elderly patients. It was due to close in 1993.