Over 600 people visited Nantwich Museum on Saturday 23 January during the recent Holly Holy Day commemoration of the seventeenth century Battle of Nantwich. As well as having the opportunity to view the permanent exhibitions they were able to enjoy town tours, a musketry demonstration by members of the Sealed Knot, a concert with dancing by period music group Forlorne Hope and various activities for children.
“A View to a Battle”, the latest exhibition in the Your Space Gallery, was also open and is now entering its final week closing on Saturday 6 February. It recalls the time of the Battle of Nantwich outlining what life in the town was like in the seventeenth century and through art with particular attention to various stained glass windows especially those from this locality. Visitors to the exhibition still have the opportunity to elect to be a Royalist or Parliamentarian.
Interest in the English Civil War does not end here and the museum’s Research Group is busy preparing for “Nantwich Besieged 1642-1646”, a major summer exhibition concerned with the local events of the Civil War and exploring further what life was like within the garrisoned town. The siege was ultimately lifted by the Battle of Nantwich. As usual the exhibition will be accompanied by a series of events beginning on Friday 29 July with a Talk & Walk centred on the site of the battle led by Julian Humphrys of the Battlefields Trust – booking details will be published on the website nearer the time.
Members of the museum’s Research Group recently visited the Wych Brook Valley, between Higher and Lower Wych, as part of their studies of the English Civil War.
On 28 August 1643 Parliamentary forces from Nantwich and Cholmondeley attacked and destroyed the salt workings in the valley, bringing the salt pans back to Nantwich. This denied the King’s forces in the area access to salt.
Evidence was found of two brine pits. One would have been pumped by a water wheel. The second pit was about 15′ in diameter and was overflowing into the brook (on right of picture). It may have been pumped with a horse gin.
The Research Group meets at the museum on most Friday mornings. New members are always welcome – please call in or contact the museum for further information.
The National Civil War Centre at Newark was officially opened on 25 September by HRH The Earl of Wessex. Members of Nantwich Museum’s Research Group recently undertook a research trip to the centre to learn more about the war in that area, how the new museum was established, how the story has been presented and to develop links with the facility. Nantwich Museum is establishing a centre for recording and presenting the local story of the Civil War and its impact on the town and surrounding area, and is also preparing for its summer 2016 exhibition on this subject. Partnerships are being sought with interested parties and groups with a view to ensuring that this important chapter in the life of the town can be accurately portrayed. The visit to Newark also provided an opportunity to visit the Queen’s Sconce, one of the major fortifications constructed to defend the town during the Civil War.