As part of the Christmas 2016 celebrations at the museum which included a carol concert by the Wistaston Singers and the first ever Craftmas a book signing took place featuring the new book by Sue Church “Nantwich Tales – Stories of the town and its people”.
Despite not claiming to be a comprehensive history the meticulous research around a myriad of the town’s past people and events paints a vivid picture of days gone by. As Sue notes in her introduction the book tells the story of “ordinary” people who were anything but ordinary with tales of murder and madness, accidents and fecklessness as well as tales of courage and generosity.
If you’ve not yet got a copy of this fascinating book, they are for sale in the museum shop.
As part of a project looking at the history of St Mary’s Parish Church members of the museum’s Research Group recently visited the John Rylands Library in Manchester where many historical church documents are held.
A selection of documents were reviewed including a prayer book and psalter complete with medieval music lines in which was recorded in handwriting the early eighteenth century births to the Ellenthorpe family.
A further find was a ‘New’ map of Cheshire dated 1786.
The Museum Research Group is busy assembling information for a major exhibition focusing on the River Weaver and its tributaries in the Nantwich area.
The group would appreciate any reminiscences and photographs relating to the river. As well as the associated salt making industry, the local tanning industry would have required a supply of water. Nantwich Mill operated in one guise or another for centuries drawing its power from the Weaver. Does anyone have recollections or photographs of its various uses; it was used as a billiard hall for a time, or of its ultimate demise? Fishing is a popular local pastime and there must be many stories to be told.
Our photograph records a recent field trip by members of the Research Group following the headwaters of the river to its source by the Peckforton Hills.
Anyone with information is requested to contact the Museum.
Nantwich Museum is on the look out for new volunteers. Over 50 volunteers currently help with all aspects of the museum’s activities including front of house services and the shop, administration of the collection, historical research, education including work with school groups, leading town tours, fundraising etc. – all essential for the smooth running of the museum.
Many hands make light work. If you can afford a little time and are interested in joining the team please contact the Museum to discuss the opportunities.
Nantwich Museum says ‘thank you’ to all those who so generously contributed to its recent flag day in the town. A total of £123.72 was collected in support of the Museum Trust. The museum is a registered charity serving the whole community. Admission is free and the money collected is vital in helping to keep the museum alive. Running costs are about £1000 a week, with only a proportion of the income provided by local councils. The balance must be found through donations and fund raising activities such as the flag day, the museum shop, town tours and educational activities.
During the flagday an Information Point in the Square provided details of museum activities and an opportunity to support its work by becoming a member of the Friends of Nantwich Museum.
The Museum is open Tuesday – Saturday 10.30am – 4.30pm and there is access for the disabled.
Visitors to Nantwich Museum have a rare opportunity to view a 360 year old journal of events in and around the town during the English Civil War.
The author was Thomas Malbon, a lawyer and sometime Registrar and Churchwarden, who lived in Welsh Row. The 49-page journal records events between the years 1642-1648 in handwriting identical to that found in the Parish Register, Registrar’s records and other official papers of the time. It is signed: “Thomas Malbon oweth (i.e. owneth) this book” and provides a careful consecutive narrative of the war as seen by someone living in a Parliamentary garrison town.
Through time the journal was preserved amongst the Cowper manuscript collection in the library of Reginald Cholmondeley of Condover Hall. It was recently located by the museum’s Research Group in the Cheshire Record Office which kindly loaned it for display during the ‘Nantwich Besieged’ exhibition.
The acclaimed exhibition tells the story of life in and around the town during the time of the war and has been hailed for its scholarship which seems to have accurately captured the times. Other notable features of the exhibition include a mural depicting the scene in the town as the siege at the end of 1643 became inevitable, a narrative featuring four fictitious characters commenting on their experiences at the time and a model illustrating the Battle of Nantwich which relieved the siege on 25 January 1644.
There is something for everyone with a variety of activities available during the exhibition including colouring, handwriting and dressing up for children whilst a series of talks consider various aspects of the time including coin hoards, the life of Sir William Brereton and stained glass.
Admission is free and the exhibition ends on Saturday 17th September 2016.